🦁 Manchester Utd beat Burnley; Arsenal equalise late against Fulham

Logo: OneFootball



Article image: https://image-service.onefootball.com/crop/face?h=810&image=https%3A%2F%2Fwp-images.onefootball.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2Fsites%2F10%2F2021%2F04%2Fimago1002196731h-1000x667.jpg&q=25&w=1080

There might be the small business of another FA Cup semi-final taking place today but there were also two Premier League fixtures for us to sink our teeth into.

Here’s what happened …

Greenwood brace helps Manchester United beat Burnley

Manchester United 3
Burnley 1
Full time

Scorers: Greenwood 48′, 85′, Cavani 90+3; Tarkowski 50′

Manchester United are now just eight points behind Manchester City after Mason Greenwood struck late against Burnley.

Chris Wood had the ball in the net for Burnley after less than a minute, but the goal was disallowed for offside.

The breakthrough came early in the second half, when Marcus Rashford squared for Mason Greenwood to finish past Bailey Peacock-Farrell.

But United’s joy was short-lived as the Clarets went down the other end and equalised almost immediately. Ashley Westwood whipped in a corner and James Tarkowski headed home past Dean Henderson.

Burnley pressed for a winner but with just five minutes to go, United retook the lead. Paul Pogba found Greenwood with a raking cross-field pass, and his strike deflected off Charlie Taylor and in.

And substitute Edinson Cavani finished the job when he tapped in from Donny van de Beek’s cross in stoppage time.

Burnley remain 17th in the table, but six points clear of 18th-placed Fulham with a game in hand.

Fulham closer to the drop after late Arsenal equaliser

Arsenal 1
Fulham 1
Full time

Scorers: Nketiah 90+7; Maja PEN 59′

Fulham’s hopes of staying in the Premier League have taken a huge hit after Eddie Nketiah scored a last-minute equaliser to deny the Cottagers all three points.

The Gunners started the better of the two sides with Gabriel Martinelli touching a shot just wide of the post within the first 30 seconds.

Scott Parker’s side grew into the game and were awarded a penalty after Mario Lemina was fouled by Gabriel, with Josh Maja smashing the spot-kick into the roof of the net.

Nicolas Pépé, who replaced Alexandre Lacazette after the Frenchman went off with an injury, was denied at the near post when his close-range header produced a stunning save by Alphonse Areola as Arsenal searched for an equaliser.

Fulham looked as if they were going to hold out for a precious three points but were dealt a crushing blow when Nketiah was on hand to tap in at the far post after a low cross deflected into his path.

Things are now looking grim for Parker as his side are now six points off safety with 17th-placed Burnley having two games in hand on them. Arsenal remain ninth.