🏆 EFL Cup: Spurs knocked out; Palace comeback; Brentford survive scare | OneFootball

Icon: OneFootball


Joel Sanderson-Murray·29 August 2023

🏆 EFL Cup: Spurs knocked out; Palace comeback; Brentford survive scare

Article image:🏆 EFL Cup: Spurs knocked out; Palace comeback; Brentford survive scare

The second round of the EFL Cup kicked off tonight with Premier League sides joining the competition.

Here’s what went down.

OneFootball Videos

Tottenham dumped out on penalties

Scorers: Van de Ven (OG) 19′; Richarlison 56′.

Tottenham Hotspur were knocked out of the EFL Cup on penalties by fellow Premier League side Fulham at Craven Cottage.

The Cottagers were the much better side in the first half and burst into a deserved lead in the 19th minute when Tom Cairney’s low cross struck the heel of Micky Van de Ven and looped into his own net despite efforts from Ivan Perisic to clear the ball off the line.

Ange Postecoglou’s team improved after the break and Richarlison levelled with his first goal of the season after getting on to the end of Perisic’s cross to nod home at the far post.

To penalties the game went with Davinson Sanchez seeing his spot-kick saved by Marek Rodak to dump Tottenham Hotspur out of the EFL Cup at the first hurdle.

Palace through after remarkable comeback

Scorers: Waine 6′, Cundle 46′; Edouard 58′, Mateta 61′, 62′, 83′.

Crystal Palace pulled off a stunning second-half comeback to avoid a scare at Plymouth Argyle.

The Championship side looked like they were going to take a Premier League scalp after racing into a two-goal lead, with Ben Waine forcing the ball in from close range after a cross into the box had richocheted against Nathaniel Clyne and into his path.

Roy Hodgson was staring a shock exit in the face when Luke Cundle hit a stunning second in the first minute of the second half, smashing the ball into the top corner from 25 yards out.

But the Eagles scored three goals in four second-half minutes to turn the game on it’s head with Odsonne Edouard stretching to poke Jordan Ayew’s cross home before Jean-Philippe Mateta tapped in from Ebere Eze’s cross to level proceedings.

Mateta moved the Premier League side ahead with a thumping volley after being played through by Jeffrey Schlupp before the Frenchman wrapped up his hat-trick and the win seven minutes from time.

Brentford survive scare to squeeze through on penalties

Scorers: Rai 90+7′; Jensen 87′.

Brentford survived a real scare to squeeze past League Two Newport County on penalties.

The Bees struggled to create too many clear cut chances in the game with Ben Mee seeing his header cleared off the line in the best moment of the first half.

But Mathias Jensen came off the bench to secure the win for Thomas Frank’s men, arriving late to get on to the end of Keane Lewis-Potter’s pull-back to tap home.

That looked as if it was going to seal progress for the Premier League side but Kiban Rai forced home a dramatic 97th-minute equaliser to take the game to penalties.

The giant-killing wasn’t to be for Newport as they missed their first two spot-kicks with Brentford making no mistake to progress.

Ndidi the difference maker as Foxes win again

Scorers: Ndidi 55′, Vardy 59′.

Leicester City made it five wins out of five games at the start of the season to ease past League Two Tranmere Rovers and into the third round.

Enzo Maresca’s team were frustrated in the first half but their superior quality shone through when Wilfried Ndidi struck home from just outside of the area via the post.

Ndidi then turned provider to cut the ball back for Jamie Vardy to head home his first goal of the season and put the tie beyond all doubt.

Wolves run riot to seal progress

Scorers: Kalajdžic 10′, Silva 25′, Doherty 60′, 66′, Fraser 83′.

Wolves hit League One Blackpool for five to move into the third round.

Saša Kalajdžic was the hero for Wolves in the Premier League on Saturday and he was on hand to give his side the lead today, reacting first to the rebound from Pablo Sarabia’s shot to volley into the ground on it’s way into the back of the net.

Fabio Silva doubled that advantage after slotting hoe from the left-hand side of the box after some persistent work from Sarabia.

Matt Doherty, in his second spell at the club, then hit two second-half goals as the Premier League side made their quality known.

Sarabia was the creator again for his first, playing a cross in for the Irish defender to head home before completing his brace with a near-post finish.

Youngster Nathan Fraser came off the bench to bag his first senior goal to wrap up the game.

Supersub Christie bags stoppage-time winner

Scorers: Grimes (PEN) 10′, Paterson 79′; Brooks 58′, Traore 68′, Christie 90+1′.

Bournemouth squeezed past Swansea courtesy of a stoppage-time winner.

Matt Grimes had put the Swans ahead from the spot in the 10th minute but David Brooks equalised in the second half with his first goal since recovering from cancer.

Dominic Solanke entered the fray and had a impact, heading against the bar before the ball fell to Hamed Traore to smash home to move the Cherries ahead.

That seemed to put Bournemouth into the driving seat but Jamie Paterson drew the hosts level 11 minutes from time.

It looked as if the game was heading to penalties but substitute Ryan Christie had the last word, arrowing an effort into the bottom corner after being played in by Justin Kluivert to steal the show in stoppage time.

Salford knock Leeds out after dramatic shootout

Scorers: Smith 34′; Struijk 76′.

Championship side Leeds United have been knocked out at the second round after losing to League Two Salford City on penalties.

It was a familiar face that dealt the first blow to Leeds with Luke Garbutt’s cross landing on to the head of ex-Leeds striker Matt Smith before going in.

Leeds dominated the game for the most part and were unlucky to fall behind. They would’ve been wondering if it was going to be one of those nights until Pascal Struijk turned home Sam Greenwood’s free-kick 14 minutes from time to take the game to penalties.

A sensational penalty shootout followed with the scoreline going to 8-8 before Jamie Shackleton struck the bar for Leeds in sudden death leaving Ossama Ashley with the chance to win the tie for Salford.

Karl Darlow saved his initial spot-kick but the referee ordered a re-take after it was deemed the goalkeeper was off his line, with Ashley making no mistake from the second attempt to move Salford into the third round for the first time in their history.


Wednesday’s fixtures

Chelsea v AFC Wimbledon

Harrogate v Blackburn

Nottingham Forest v Burnley

Sheffield United v Lincoln City

Doncaster Rovers v Everton