Hammarby knock-back improved Celtic bid for Sebastian Tounekti | OneFootball

Hammarby knock-back improved Celtic bid for Sebastian Tounekti | OneFootball

In partnership with

Yahoo sports
Icon: The Celtic Star

The Celtic Star

·30 agosto 2025

Hammarby knock-back improved Celtic bid for Sebastian Tounekti

Immagine dell'articolo:Hammarby knock-back improved Celtic bid for Sebastian Tounekti

Celtic’s latest move for Sebastian Tounekti has been knocked back after Hammarby Sporting Director Mikael Hjelmberg claimed the winger will not be leaving Stockholm in this window…

Immagine dell'articolo:Hammarby knock-back improved Celtic bid for Sebastian Tounekti

Sirius Isak Bjerkebo and Hammarby’s Sebastian Tounekti during the football match in Allsvenskan between Sirius and Hammarby on August 24, 2025 in Uppsala Photo TOBIAS STERNER

Celtic have been linked with the 23-year-old throughout the week, as we previously reported on The Celtic Star, with reports suggesting bids were lodged for a player Hammarby value at around £6m.


OneFootball Video


And while Hjelmberg admitted Celtic had made contact, he says Tounekti has been told in no uncertain terms he will remain in Sweden for the rest of the Swedish season which runs until November.

“I have informed Celtic and ‘Seb’ that he will play for Hammarby this autumn,” Hjelmberg told Fotbollskanalen on deadline day. Asked how the player reacted, he added: “He took it well.”

The reason for the firm stance is simple enough, the Swedish transfer window closed yesterday. That prevents Hammarby from sourcing replacements, even though the Scottish market remains open until Monday. That said, because of the disparity in the transfer windows, it is a fairly regular occurrence for Swedish sides to sell to clubs outside Sweden even after the Swedish window shuts.

Immagine dell'articolo:Hammarby knock-back improved Celtic bid for Sebastian Tounekti

Hammarby’s Sebastian Tounekti tests a shot against GAIS goalkeeper Mergim Krasniqi during Sundays Allsvenskan in the match between Hammarby and GAIS at 3Arena STOCKHOLM SWEDEN Photo Henrik Montgomery IMAGO/TT

Hammarby are second in their title race, eight points behind the league leaders Mjällby AIF and five points ahead of Malmö FF in third place. There are 10 games remaining, so whilst it is perhaps unlikely Hammarby could win the title, the race for European places is much tighter, so keeping their first team players will be tempting. Yet, if Celtic met the believed asking price it would give Hammarby a decision to make.

Pressed on whether Celtic might make another attempt before the deadline, Hjelmberg admitted: “I don’t actually know. I have received a few calls from them earlier in the day. I have been quite clear to them that our ambition is to keep ‘Seb’.”

While that appears to close the door on a late breakthrough for Celtic, Hjelmberg’s wording of ‘ambition’ does suggest there is a price at which Tounekti could eventually be prised away. For now, though, the message is clear enough, there will be no sale in this window.

Hammarby, however, may still see movement elsewhere in their squad despite the shut window, with defender Shaquille Pinas and forward Jusef Erabi –also previously a reported Celtic target – both likely to depart. But Tounekti — Celtic’s main Swedish target — will not be following them, unless of course Celtic meet the asking price.

Immagine dell'articolo:Hammarby knock-back improved Celtic bid for Sebastian Tounekti

Celtic manager Brendan Rodgers during the Scottish Premiership match between Celtic and Livingston at Celtic Park on August 23, 2025. (Photo by Ian MacNicol/Getty Images)

For Brendan Rodgers, it remains to be seen whether Celtic will pursue another winger before the Scottish window closes on Monday or perhaps wait until January to test Hammarby’s resolve once again.

Who would have thought such late business by Celtic would be such a fraught affair? You learn something every day…

Niall J

Celtic in the Eighties by David Potter. Foreword by Danny McGrain. Published on Celtic Star Books on 5 September 2025. Click on image to pre-order.

Help raise funds for Celtic Youth Academy by playing the Celtic Pools Weekly Lottery and you could win up to £25,000. The lottery is £1 per week. Click on image to join.

More Stories / Latest News

Visualizza l' imprint del creator