Sarri blasts ‘Serie C level’ Lazio ahead of Olimpico return against Verona | OneFootball

Sarri blasts ‘Serie C level’ Lazio ahead of Olimpico return against Verona | OneFootball

In partnership with

Yahoo sports
Icon: Football Italia

Football Italia

·30 Agustus 2025

Sarri blasts ‘Serie C level’ Lazio ahead of Olimpico return against Verona

Gambar artikel:Sarri blasts ‘Serie C level’ Lazio ahead of Olimpico return against Verona

Maurizio Sarri did not hold back in his assessment of Lazio’s 2-0 away defeat in their 2025-26 season opener against Como, insisting his Biancocelesti side must rediscover intensity and mentality if they are to meet expectations this season. After a poor showing against Cesc Fabregas’ side, Sarri expressed some dismay with how his team performed.

“At Como, we had numbers that were Serie C level in every respect,” he said, with quotes via LaLazioSiamoNoi, pointing to the his side’s 66% pass completion rate. “That, as a paradox, actually gives me confidence, because those cannot be our real numbers. We lost because of our attitude. We wanted to press but played with the mentality of those who wanted to wait. Having said that, Como may now be superior but they certainly are from a technical standpoint.”


Video OneFootball


Gambar artikel:Sarri blasts ‘Serie C level’ Lazio ahead of Olimpico return against Verona

Lazio’s Italian headcoach Maurizio Sarri gestures during the UEFA Champions League last 16 first leg between Lazio and Bayern Munich at the Olympic stadium on February 14, 2024 in Rome. (Photo by Filippo MONTEFORTE / AFP) (Photo by FILIPPO MONTEFORTE/AFP via Getty Images)

Lazio coach Sarri: ‘Mentality, not tactics, is decisive’

Sarri rejected claims that Lazio’s struggles stem from tactical aspects or formations, insisting the problem lies in energy and approach. “Last year, Lazio did well until we pushed from a mental point of view. It wasn’t about tactics,” he explained, “We must rediscover that energy. The positive signs disappeared too quickly in the first game.”

The coach also urged his players to embrace the atmosphere at the Stadio Olimpico and show greater hunger to impress the fans, noting the club have not won at home in Serie A since February. “The desire to give joy to our supporters must be enormous,” he said.

Sarri on the Lazio project and Zaccagni target

Sarri singled out winger Mattia Zaccagni as someone capable of hitting double figures in goals this season if he sharpens his movement, “If he doesn’t reach ten, it means he is doing something wrong. He attacks the spaces and the box too little, and he can improve in that aspect.”

Gambar artikel:Sarri blasts ‘Serie C level’ Lazio ahead of Olimpico return against Verona

ROME, ITALY – MAY 25: Mattia Zaccagni of SS Lazio in action during the Serie A match between Lazio and Lecce at Stadio Olimpico on May 25, 2025 in Rome, Italy. (Photo by Marco Rosi /Getty Images)

With Pedro’s fitness being monitored and injuries to Vecino, Isaksen and Patric still limiting options, Sarri admitted his line-up will be shaped by condition as much as choice. However, he was clear about the wider project at Lazio, “The club spoke to me about three years of work, starting from a point of difficulty. If we can build seven or eight players of real level, then we will only need three in the market.”

Lihat jejak penerbit