Coventry City handed potential Jack Rudoni boost - Southampton FC decision changes the situation | OneFootball

Coventry City handed potential Jack Rudoni boost - Southampton FC decision changes the situation | OneFootball

In partnership with

Yahoo sports
Icon: Football League World

Football League World

·29 août 2025

Coventry City handed potential Jack Rudoni boost - Southampton FC decision changes the situation

Image de l'article :Coventry City handed potential Jack Rudoni boost - Southampton FC decision changes the situation

Southampton's £15 million move for Middlesbrough's Finn Azaz could spell the end of their pursuit of Coventry City midfielder Jack Rudoni.

It has been an excellent start to the season for Coventry City in the Championship, and midfielder Jack Rudoni has been a crucial part of their early success.


Vidéos OneFootball


Coventry have notoriously been slow starters in recent years, which has often given them a mountain to climb in the second half of the campaign, but that has all changed this season, with Frank Lampard's side emerging as one of the early front-runners.

The Sky Blues have picked up seven points from their first three games, and they have scored an incredible 12 goals in the process, with most of those coming in the comprehensive 7-1 victory over Queens Park Rangers on Saturday.

Given the strong optimism currently around the club, which was boosted even further by the recent purchase of the CBS Arena, one lingering fear for Coventry supporters would have been bids for any of their stars before the end of the transfer window.

Rudoni is one player who has attracted interest from elsewhere this summer, but with just a few days remaining until the 7pm deadline on 1st September, the Sky Blues will be increasingly confident that they can retain the midfielder.

Coventry City would have been concerned by Jack Rudoni, Southampton interest

Image de l'article :Coventry City handed potential Jack Rudoni boost - Southampton FC decision changes the situation

Rudoni joined Coventry from Huddersfield Town last summer for a fee of between £3.6 million and £3.8 million plus add-ons, and he enjoyed an outstanding debut season at the CBS Arena.

The 24-year-old scored 10 goals and provided 13 assists in 50 appearances in all competitions to help the Sky Blues reach the play-offs, including netting in a number of crucial games in the final stages of the campaign, and it seems his performances did not go unnoticed.

Premier League side Newcastle United were said to have scouted Rudoni last season as they weighed up a summer move, while he also emerged on the radar of Southampton following their relegation from the top flight.

It was reported earlier this month that the Saints had a bid for Rudoni rejected by the Sky Blues, with the offer said to have fallen "well below" their asking price, and, as FLW exclusively revealed, the Midlands outfit slapped a £15 million price tag on the midfielder's head in an attempt to fend off interest.

Rudoni's fine form has continued into the new season, with the ex-AFC Wimbledon man scoring two goals and registering one assist in his first five appearances, underlining just how much of a blow it would be for Coventry to lose him before the end of the window.

Coventry City may have increased Jack Rudoni hope amid fresh Southampton developments

Image de l'article :Coventry City handed potential Jack Rudoni boost - Southampton FC decision changes the situation

If news of a bid from Southampton was not worrying enough for Coventry supporters, Lampard did little to shut down the speculation over Rudoni's future when he admitted that he had not asked for assurances from owner Doug King that the midfielder would not be sold.

Lampard's refusal to rule out Rudoni leaving the CBS Arena this summer appeared to open the door to the possibility of another bid from the Saints, but that now looks unlikely after recent developments at St Mary's.

Not only would it be a big surprise to see the Saints launch another big-money move so soon after signing Azaz, but Rudoni also plays in the same position as the Boro man, meaning there would be little need for the club to bring in both, particularly given the depth they already have in midfield.

Southampton sold winger Tyler Dibling to Everton in a £42 million deal earlier this week, while they have also agreed a £38 million deal with West Ham United for Mateus Fernandes, so their budget has been boosted significantly ahead of the final few days of the transfer window, but it would not make sense for them to pay a substantial sum for Rudoni after landing Azaz.

In any case, it was reported that Rudoni has no intention of leaving Coventry this summer, but with the Saints now turning their attention elsewhere, the Sky Blues will be even more confident that they can keep hold of him until January at least.

À propos de Publisher