La Liga file complaint over racial abuse towards Vinicius Junior – Xabi Alonso responds | OneFootball

La Liga file complaint over racial abuse towards Vinicius Junior – Xabi Alonso responds | OneFootball

In partnership with

Yahoo sports
Icon: Football Espana

Football Espana

·29 de agosto de 2025

La Liga file complaint over racial abuse towards Vinicius Junior – Xabi Alonso responds

Imagen del artículo:La Liga file complaint over racial abuse towards Vinicius Junior – Xabi Alonso responds

Real Madrid manager Xabi Alonso has noted that he while he wants to have a good atmosphere at stadiums they travel to, ‘disagreeable incidents’ must be avoided, in response to the racist abuse that was suffered by Vinicius Junior last weekend. La Liga have filed an official complaint about the abuse.

After their 3-0 win over Real Oviedo at the Nuevo Carlos Tartiere, footage emerged where racial abuse towards Vinicius and Kylian Mbappe was audible. La Liga then announced an investigation into the matter, which has come to its conclusion.


OneFootball Videos


La Liga file complaint over racism towards Vinicius

As reported by Diario AS, La Liga have now filed an official complaint to the authorities about the matter, having reviewed the footage. La Liga had already submitted a report denouncing other chants against Vinicius and Spanish Prime Minister Pedro Sanchez, but now the Anti-Violence Committee will decide how to proceed with the matter. Previous incidents have seen partial stadium bans, and individual bans handed out.

Imagen del artículo:La Liga file complaint over racial abuse towards Vinicius Junior – Xabi Alonso responds

Image via Europa Press

Xabi Alonso responds to incident

During his Friday press conference, ahead of Real Madrid’s clash with RCD Mallorca, Xabi Alonso was asked if he believed there was a solution to the continued targeting of Vinicius with such vile abuse. Alonso said that it would not stop his side from focusing.

“We hope that wherever we go there will be a competitive atmosphere, but not unpleasant incidents. If there are racist incidents, the relevant authorities will intervene. And us, [focused] on the pitch.”

Real Oviedo have launched investigation

Meanwhile Real Oviedo President Martin Pelaez came out to address the matter, stating that the club would be investigating, and banning anyone they found to be guilty of racist abuse. He said they are already working with security personnel to get to the bottom of the matter, labelling it intolerable.

Ver detalles de la publicación