🦁 Tottenham win eventful game at Newcastle; West Ham beat Everton | OneFootball

🦁 Tottenham win eventful game at Newcastle; West Ham beat Everton

Logo: OneFootball


Dan Burke

Sunday presented two interesting fixtures in the Premier League.

Here’s what happened.

Newcastle’s new era begins with defeat to Spurs

Newcastle United 2
Tottenham 3
Full time

Scorers: Wilson 2′, Dier OG 89′; Ndombele 18′, Kane 22′, Son 45+4′

Tottenham came from behind to beat win and spoil Newcastle’s party as they heralded the dawn of a new era at St James’ Park.

Newcastle went in front after less than two minutes when Callum Wilson headed home to lift the roof off the stadium.

But Tanguy Ndombele then drew Spurs level when he rattled a great strike into the top corner after 18 minutes.

Harry Kane then scored his first goal of the season when he lobbed the ball over Karl Darlow. The flag initially went offside but after a VAR check, the goal was allowed to stand.

Lucas Moura then almost made it 3-1 when his header from a corner hit the crossbar in the 39th minute.

The match was then stopped while a supporter received urgent assistance for a medical emergency in the crowd.

Referee Andre Marriner took both sets of players inside to the dressing room while the supporter was attended to.

After around 10 minutes the players came back out to continue the match, and Newcastle confirmed the supporter had been taken to hospital.

Tottenham then did go 3-1 up, when Kane squared for Heung-min Son to finish into the roof of the net from close range.

Into the second half and with eight minutes remaining, Newcastle substitute Jonjoe Shelvey was sent off for bringing down Sergio Reguilon on the edge of the box.

Newcastle were then handed a late lifeline when Jacob Murphy’s free-kick into the box was turned past his own goalkeeper by Spurs defender Eric Dier.

From earlier …

Ogbonna the hero as Hammers win at Goodison

Everton 0
West Ham 1
Full time

Scorers: Ogbonna 74′

David Moyes enjoyed a victorious return to Goodison Park as West Ham narrowly overcame Everton.

The Hammers dominated possession in the early stages but Abdoulaye Doucouré had a decent chance to open the scoring for Everton after 17 minutes.

Everton then had the first big chance of the game in the 29th minute, when Demarai Gray skinned Angelo Ogbonna and squared for Alex Iwobi, but Iwobi completely fluffed his shot much to Goodison Park’s frustration.

West Ham then had the ball in the net but the goal was disallowed for offside against Tomáš Souček, before Pablo Fornals missed a decent chance to break the deadlock.

The breakthrough finally came in the 74th minute, when Ogbonna leapt highest to head home a corner at the near post for the visitors.

Jarrod Bowen then went close to wrapping it up for West Ham late on, only for Jordan Pickford to deny him with an excellent save.