Stunning drama! Wednesday win promotion with three seconds left | OneFootball

Icon: OneFootball


Padraig Whelan·29 May 2023

Stunning drama! Wednesday win promotion with three seconds left

Article image:Stunning drama! Wednesday win promotion with three seconds left

Sheffield Wednesday returned to the Championship with a winner with three seconds of extra-time remaining in a dramatic contest with Barnsley at Wembley.

Scorers: Windass 123′

OneFootball Videos

The scoreless opening 45 minutes produced few real chances and although Harry Isted in the Barnsley goal was the busier goalkeeper, he had few notable saves to make.

But the game exploded into life very quickly after the break, kickstarted when Lee Gregory mistimed a clearance and appeared to kick Liam Kitching inside the area but following a VAR check, no penalty was awarded.

Their frustrations with the officiating team increased further just moments later when Adam Phillips was shown a straight red card for a clumsy mistimed slide which caught Gregory high, although the decision was contentious again.

And they were then exasperated even more when Nicky Cadden’s volley was directed towards goal by Kitching, only to be denied by the crossbar.

Buoyed by those perceived injustices, the Tykes again went close with 10 minutes remaining, only for Cameron Dawson to pull off an outstanding stop to keep James Norwood’s blistering drive out to send the contest to extra-time.

The Owls had a header cleared off the line almost instantly by Mads Andersen before Isted somehow denied Michael Smith from three yards out with a phenomenal point-blank save.

He then tipped a curling Barry Bannan strike off the post as Wednesday turned the screw but were almost caught cold on the counter when Luca Connell was played in but skewed horribly wide with the goal gaping.

When Isted was finally beaten shortly after the restart in extra-time, Will Vaulks’ strike was rightly ruled out for offside.

And with seconds remaining before penalties beckoned, Josh Windass popped up to follow in his father’s footsteps with a 123rd minute play-off winner to send the Owls back to the Championship with a diving header to cap off one of the most dramatic days Wembley has witnessed.