🦁 PL breakdown: Drama as Man City and Liverpool claim comeback wins


Alex Mott

Article image: 🦁 PL breakdown: Drama as Man City and Liverpool claim comeback wins

Manchester City and Liverpool both came from behind to beat Southampton and Aston Villa, respectively, on a topsy-turvy Saturday in the Premier League.

Final scores

  • Aston Villa 1-2 Liverpool
  • Manchester City 2-1 Southampton
  • Arsenal 1-1 Wolves
  • West Ham 2-3 Newcastle
  • Sheffield United 3-0 Burnley
  • Brighton 2-0 Norwich

Earlier result

  • Bournemouth 1-0 Manchester United

Elsewhere Arsenal were held at home to Wolves while Newcastle and Sheffield United both scored three in impressive wins.

Here’s what went down…

Mané’s the main man

Aston Villa put in a superb performance but didn’t do enough to beat Liverpool thanks to Sadio Mané’s last-gasp goal.

It was the home side who came out of the blocks fastest here, pulling the Reds this way and that, and almost going ahead were it not for a slightly overhit cross from Anwar El Ghazi.

The pressure was building on the Merseyside outfit and it eventually became too much with 20 minutes gone as Trezeguet volleyed in from six yards out to give Villa the lead.

Liverpool slowly got their foot back into the game though and really should have levelled things up midway through the half. A brilliant cross from Sadio Mané was met by Roberto Firmino, but the Brazilian was adjudged to be offside with the goal being ruled out by VAR.

Dear reader, he wasn’t.

The second half wasn’t much better from the reigning European champions. They were being schooled by the exceptional Tyrone Mings and John McGinn – both men putting in Man of the Match performances.

Adam Lallana went close for Liverpool with 15 minutes to go, but the England international could only fire wide when a chance was laid on a plate by Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain.

The forwards weren’t doing it for Liverpool, so it was left to Andy Robertson to finally get that equaliser as the Scot made a run to the far post and headed in a Mané cross.

And it was the Senegal international who was the hero of the hour, right in injury time, as he headed in a Trent Alexander-Arnold cross to send the visiting fans wild.

Winning ugly

An upset looked on the cards but two late goals from the home side ensured Manchester City beat Southampton and came away with all three points.

Pep Guardiola’s side had already beaten the Saints in midweek in a relatively uneventful EFL Cup clash, but the away team shocked all of east Manchester in the 13th minute when James Ward-Prowse tapped in to open the scoring.

It was a clanger from Ederson who fumbled Oriel Romeu’s original effort and gave Ralph Hasenhüttl’s men an unexpected advantage.

The hosts did what they usually do for the rest of the half – dominate possession, create a tonne of chances. But then they did what they normally don’t do – miss those chances.

It was a strange gameplan from the champions, who, after an hour, had put in 40 crosses with only eight of them reaching their intended target.

Still City were knocking on the door. Sergio Agüero went close with an opportunity he would normally bury and needed a better touch when put through by Raheem Sterling.

You can’t keep the Argentine striker down for long, with the 31-year-old poking past Angus Gunn for the equaliser.

The momentum of the game then changed but it was an unexpected match-winner for City as Kyle Walker ghosted in at the back post.

Emery out?

Arsenal’s week from Hell continued as Wolves grabbed a late equaliser to heap more pressure on Unai Emery.

Unai Emery named an attacking starting XI here but the home side seemed to have negated their defensive responsibilities early on as Adama Traore got in between Keiran Tierney twice in the opening few minutes.

It was an astonishingly bad start to the half from the Gunners, essentially allowing Nuno’s men to dominate possession and probe away at a shaky-looking back line.

But after their initial malaise it was actually Arsenal who opened the scoring with, you guessed it, Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang slotting home from close range.

The goal put the gloss on what was a passive performance and they paid late in the second half as a floated cross from Traore found Raul Jimenez, who headed in from the back post.

Getting a tune out of Toon

Newcastle put in their best performance of the season as they beat West Ham 3-2 at the London Stadium.

The Toon travelled to the capital looking for three points that would take them out of the relegation zone, and they got off to the perfect start as Ciaran Clark opened his account for the season on 14 minutes.

It was turning into a nightmare first half for the Hammers as the normally goal-shy Newcastle doubled their advantage just moments later thanks to Federico Fernandez, who headed past a flailing Roberto.

West Ham made two changes for the second half, but it didn’t help them stem the tide as Steve Bruce’s men made it 3-0 thanks to a glorious Jonjo Shelvey free kick.

A comeback did look back on for the east London outfit as Fabian Balbuena netted his first for the club, and Robert Snodgrass added a second in injury time.

Blades cut open Clarets

Sheffield United continued their brilliant start to life in the Premier League as they comfortably beat Burnley 3-0 in a Yorkshire/Lancashire skirmish.

The most Premier League of Premier League encounters went down at Bramall Lane as Chris Wilder’s men hosted the Clarets on a wet and windy Sheffield afternoon.

And it was the hosts who made the most of their home advantage early on, with John Lundstrom – so impressive all season so far – scoring again.

And it was the former Oxford United man who doubled the Blades lead late in the first half with another fine finish.

They weren’t done there though, with the home side making it three of the best on the stroke of the whistle – John Fleck this time with the strike.

Seagulls > Canaries

A dull game in terrible conditions was brightened by two second half goals which saw Brighton beat lowly Norwich.

It was 11th against 19th at a sodden Amex and the first played out exactly like two bottom half sides slugging it out.

Tim Krul was the busier of the goalkeepers, saving well from Neal Maupay after his low drive, but that really was it for action in the opening 45 minutes.

It wasn’t much better in the second half to be fair, but there was at least a goal which came on 68 minutes.

Leandro Trossard, on just moments earlier, finished well with his first touch of the game.

The Canaries didn’t have any answer and were made to pay for their defensive frailty as Shane Duffy made it 2-0 and three points   late on.