🦁 Man City crowned Premier League champions, Chelsea secure EL | OneFootball

🦁 Man City crowned Premier League champions, Chelsea secure EL | OneFootball

In partnership with

Yahoo sports
Icon: OneFootball


OneFootball·19 May 2024

🦁 Man City crowned Premier League champions, Chelsea secure EL

Article image:🦁 Man City crowned Premier League champions, Chelsea secure EL

It all came down to the final day of the 2023/24 Premier League season, where the title and European qualification was on the line.

Here’s how it all unfolded.

OneFootball Videos

Manchester City crowned champions

Pep Guardiola’s side became Premier League champions for the fourth successive season with a 3-1 win over West Ham.

Scorers: Foden 2′, 18, Rodri 59′; Kudus 43′

It began in perfect fashion for the Champions as Phil Foden fired home from the edge of the penalty area in just the second minute, settling any early nerves at the Etihad.

West Ham, who had switched to a back five for the game, couldn’t find a way to keep the ball. And after wave after wave of Sky blue pressure, Jeremy Doku squeezed the ball through to Foden, who once again made no mistake and put one hand on the trophy in the process.

It could have been more before the half hour mark, with Erling Haaland missing inexplicably from two yards out, while Phil Foden stung the palms of Areola.

The Hammers had their goalkeeper to thank again when a strong hand saw another Haaland effort trickle wide in what threatened to become a cricket score.

But West Ham weren’t finished, and rocked the Champions in wait courtesy of Mohammed Kudus, who fired home an astonishing bicycle kick to half the deficit, and restore some jeopardy to the game.

The second half continued in the same fashion, with Manchester City dominating the ball and West Ham looking to hit Guardiola’s side on the counter attack.

But again, pressure paid off as Rodri, so often Manchester City’s big game hero, squirted the ball under Areola to restore City’s two goal cushion.

Still the chances came, with Phil Foden firing a free kick into the side netting and Areola looking far from assured underneath crosses.

And after Tomas Soucek’s goal was ruled out for handball, it ended comfortably for the Cityzens, who were once more crowned Premier League champions.

Arsenal find late win against Everton

Arsenal knew that they need to win and hope for a favour from West Ham to have any chance of clinching their first Premier League title since 2004, but they were only able to uphold their end of the bargain.

Scorers: Gueye 39′: Tomiyasu 44′, Havertz 89′

The Gunners began the game on the front foot, and should have been 1-0 up when Takehiro Tomiyasu headed wide from six yards out.

Gabriel Martinelli saw an effort saved by Jordan Pickford as Arsenal ramped up the pressure, but Everton stood firm.

And at the other end, they reminded the Gunners just how dangerous they could be when Dominic Calvert-Lewin had two efforts in quick succession, hitting the post and the side netting on each occasion.

Arsenal couldn’t convert their dominance, and felt the consequences just before half time when Idrissa Gueye’s free kick took a wicked deflection off Declan Rice to leave David Raya flatfooted and hand the Toffees a shock lead.

It didn’t last long, as Takehiro Tomiyasu drilled home from the edge of the penalty area to restore parity, and reignite the title race.

The second half began in similar fashion, as Everton grew in confidence and Arsenal looked bereft of answers in the final third.

Arteta threw on Jurrien Timber and Emile Smith Rowe in a bid to break the deadlock, as Kai Havertz hit the post and Martin Odegaard was denied by an excellent block from Jarrad Branthwaite.

But the Gunners finally found a way through when Gabriel Jesus won the ball on the halfway line, before some scruffy play finished with Kai Havertz tapping the ball into the net to eventually give them the lead.

Though they ended their season with three points, it was not enough.

Tottenham secure fifth place against Sheffield United

After a disappointing few weeks, Spurs ensured their spot in the Europa League with a win over already-relegated Sheffield United.

Scorers: Kulusevski 14′, 65′, Porro 59′

It was the home side that began the game strongly, as Spurs seemed caught cold. Ben Brereton-Diaz fired over when well placed before Gustavo Hamer hit a free kick straight at Vicario.

Ange Postecoglou’s side rallied though, and took the lead just before the quarter of an hour mark when Dejan Kulusevski fired home after being played in by Heung-Min Son.

And it was Spurs who continued to pile on the pressure, as Rodrigo Bentancur hit the post before Son saw an effort saved.

The Blades remained a threat in the second half but Spurs found another gear once more and doubled their lead courtesy of Pedro Porro, who thundered the ball into the back of the net from the edge of the penalty area to leave Spurs well placed to secure fifth.

That became almost a certainty five minutes later when Kulusevski found the net once more after being teed up by James Maddison, and leave the result beyond doubt.

Chelsea edge past Bournemouth

A rejuvenated Chelsea welcomed an out-of-sorts Bournemouth to Stamford Bridge, with a win keeping their hopes of European football alive for next season.

Scorers: Caicedo 17′, Sterling 48′; Badiashile [OG] 50′

The Blues dominated the ball in the early stages, but both sides were given chances with Cole Palmer fluffing his lines for the home sides while Antoine Semenyo saw his effort saved.

But then disaster struck for the cherries; Neto, who picked the ball up and moved into midfield, gave the ball straight to Moises Caicedo, who promptly sent the ball back over his head and into the Bournemouth net from the halfway line with a remarkable effort.

But Bournemouth continued to provide a threat, with Marcus Tavernier in particular looking a threat for the Cherries heading into the interval.

It looked as though Chelsea had killed the tie off moments into the second half when Cole Palmer found Raheem Sterling to double the Blues’ lead, but Bournemouth hit back immediately through Enes Unal to leave the sides seperated by just a goal.

Iraola’s side continued to provide a threat to the Blues, but couldn’t find the all important final touch to level the game, leaving Chelsea holding onto a European spot for next season, and racking up their fifth win in a row.

Newcastle beat Brentford in six goal thriller

After a disappointing defeat to Manchester United in midweek, Newcastle United picked up a much-needed three points to maximise their chances of a European football spot next season.

Scorers: Janelt 49′, Wissa 70′: Barnes 21′, Murphy 36′, Isak 38′, Guimaraes 77′

They survived an early scare just minutes in when Ivan Toney thought that he had handed the bees the lead, only for VAR to rule it out for offside.

And they made their lifeline count fifteen minutes later when Harvey Barnes headed home after some tidy work from Bruno Guimaraes to create the opportunity.

The goal led to Newcastle gaining a strong foothold on the game, with the Bees seemingly struggling to get back into the occasion.

And their task became even harder 10 minutes before half time when Alexander Isak found Jacob Murphy to double the Magpies’ lead, and leave them well placed for European football.

A minute later they had made it three, as Thomas Frank’s side fell apart, Alexander Isak turning finisher this time around to leave the result largely beyond doubt.

Minutes into the second half, there were signs of life from the Bees though, as Vitaly Janelt pulled one back for the hosts.

It was a much more even second half, but as Newcastle looked to have weathered the Brentford storm they were caught out by Yoanne Wissa, who produced an excellent finish when played in by Ivan Toney to leave Newcastle eyeing a nervy final 20 minutes.

With 13 minutes left, Newcastle were awarded a penalty, only for VAR to overturn the foul on Lewis Hall, deeming it outside the penalty area. However, seconds later they were much happier when Bruno Guimaraes reacted fastest to a loose ball to poke home from the subsequent free kick and restore the two goal cushion, handing his side all three points.

Manchester United beat Brighton

Roberto De Zerbi’s final home game in charge of Brighton saw his side welcome Manchester United, who picked up three points to end their disappointing season on a high.

Scorers: Dalot 73′, Hojlund 88′

Brighton began the game the stronger, with Adam Webster heading over the crossbar when well placed.

With the majority of the ball, the Seagulls continued to probe as Webster headed wide once more, while Scott McTominay fired into the side netting when offered a rare glimpse of goal for Erik ten Hag’s side.

But Brighton continued to push without any real cutting edge, and the two sides headed into the break level.

The second half saw United grow into the game, and after a spell of dominance they found a crucial breakthrough courtesy of Diogo Dalot, who fired his side into the lead from the right side of the box.

As Brighton pushed for a leveller, they were hit once more by the Red Devils as Rasmus Hojlund exchanged a quick 1-2 with compatriot Eriksen before firing past Jason Steele to put the game to bed, and hand United all three points.

Other fixtures

Tap on the match for more information