🦁 Liverpool's 68-match unbeaten home run ended by Burnley shocker

Logo: OneFootball


Dan Burke

Article image: https://image-service.onefootball.com/crop/face?h=810&image=https%3A%2F%2Fwp-images.onefootball.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2Fsites%2F10%2F2021%2F01%2FLiverpool-v-Burnley-Premier-League-1611265739-1000x666.jpg&q=25&w=1080

Burnley have become the first team to win a Premier League match at Anfield since April 2017.

An Ashley Barnes penalty late in Thursday’s match gave the Clarets victory against lacklustre Liverpool, who now haven’t scored in their last three matches and find themselves six points behind Premier League leaders Manchester United.

Premier League


Liverpool dominated possession in the first half and tested Burnley’s Nick Pope with three or four efforts that the goalkeeper was equal to.

At the other end, Burnley’s Ashley Barnes almost opened the scoring when Alisson lost control of a high ball, but the Reds goalkeeper was able to recover and make the save.

The best chance of the first half fell to Divock Origi just before half-time when Ben Mee got caught in possession and the Belgian striker raced through on goal, but with Pope beaten, his emphatic effort cracked off the crossbar and came out.

Mohamed Salah and Roberto Firmino both came on for Origi and Georginio Wijnaldum just before the hour mark, and Salah soon forced Pope into an excellent save at his near post.

Jóhann Berg Guðmundsson then had a good chance to give Burnley the lead with 70 minutes on the clock, but his connection with Dwight McNeil’s near post cross went wide.

At the other end, Firmino shanked a good chance wide after Andrew Robertson had caught Matthew Lowton in possession.

The hosts continued trying to force the issue and then from nothing, Burnley were awarded a penalty in the 83rd minute.

Barnes wriggled away from Fabinho and was brought down by Alisson, before the striker picked himself up to score from the spot for what proved to be the winning goal.

Firmino almost equalised before McNeil had a chance to make it 2-0 in stoppage time, but 1-0 to Burnley was the final score.