🦁 Liverpool brush aside Fulham after wins for Villa and Palace | OneFootball

🦁 Liverpool brush aside Fulham after wins for Villa and Palace | OneFootball

In partnership with

Yahoo sports
Icon: OneFootball


Ben Browning·21 April 2024

🦁 Liverpool brush aside Fulham after wins for Villa and Palace

Article image:🦁 Liverpool brush aside Fulham after wins for Villa and Palace

The Premier League continued with four more games this Saturday, with major implications at both ends of the table.

Here’s how it all went down.

OneFootball Videos

Liverpool lead Fulham again

Having seen Arsenal win yesterday, Liverpool travelled to Fulham knowing that only three points will help them keep pace in the title race, but will need to be better than their showing in Europe on Thursday.

Scorers: Alexander-Arnold 32′, Gravenberch 53′, Jota 72′; Castagne 45+2′

It was the home side that began the game stronger, with Alex Iwobi in particular getting joy down the Liverpool left though lacking any final product to punish Liverpool’s generosity.

Both sides created chances without taking them, but a moment of magic punctuated the first half courtesy of the returning Trent Alexander-Arnold.

The right back was on hand to curl home a free kick just after the half hour mark to hand his side the lead somewhat against the run of play, not that he will care.

But they couldn’t continue to hold out against the Fulham attacks all half, and the hosts were deservedly level just before the break courtesy of a goal from Timothy Castagne, who fired through a crowd of bodies to restore parity.

The Reds came out stronger in the second half, and after dominating the ball they re-took the lead courtesy of another excellent striker, this time from midfielder Ryan Gravenberch, who picked a fine time to score his first Premier League goal in Liverpool colours.

Fulham struggled to get any foothold in the second half, and couldn’t prevent Liverpool adding a third goal courtesy of Diogo Jota, whose low effort Leno got a hand to but couldn’t keep out.

Liverpool continued to control proceedings, and as Klopp rang the changes Fulham had no answer, with the Reds cruising to three points in the end.

Aston Villa scrape past Bournemouth

Aston Villa needed to come from behind to take all three points against Bournemouth, but continued their push for a top four spot with a fine win.

Scorers: Solanke 31′; Rogers 45+1′, Diaby 57′, Bailey 78′

Unai Emery’s side began the game on the front foot, with Leon Bailey seeing an effort blocked and John McGinn firing wide from outside the area.

But Bournemouth grew into the game, and took the lead after half an hour when Matty Cash brought down Milos Kerkez, with Dominic Solanke making no mistake from the penalty spot.

Villa rallied though, and got back on level terms through January signing Morgan Rodgers, who cut in from the left-hand side before crashing the ball into the roof of the Bournemouth net.

The Champions League hopefuls continued to dominate the ball into the second half, and they got their reward just before the hour mark through Moussa Diaby after Ollie Watkins slid the ball into his path, with the Frenchman making no mistake to put his side into the lead.

Both teams were guilty of missing good chances as they pushed on, but it was Villa that finally made another one pay when Watkins again turned provider to allow Leon Bailey to fire in a third and decisive goal for the Villains.

It was too much for the Cherries to hit back against, and they never really found a way into the second half in a disappointing showing. For Villa though, it was a vital three points on the back of a gruelling week.

Crystal Palace thrash awful West Ham

Oliver Glasner’s Palace side hosted West Ham hoping that their European adventure would leave them vulnerable, but couldn’t have imagined just how easy it was.

Scorers: Olise 7′, Eze 16′, Emerson OG 20′, Mateta 31, 64′; Antonio 40′, Mitchell OG 89′

The rout  began almost immediately, with Palace managing to force a corner from which Michael Olise eventually rose highest to head home from six yards out after just seven minutes.

Pressure on David Moyes’ side continued, and 10 minutes later Eberechi Eze doubled Palace’s lead from close range with an incredible acrobatic effort after Jean-Phillipe Mateta’s effort was initially saved.

As soon as it was two it was three, when West Ham full-back Emerson put into his own net under pressure from Daniel Munoz.

The scoring didn’t ease up either, as Mateta got in on the action adding a fourth just after the half hour mark as Palace ran riot.

West Ham pulled one back just before the interval, with Michail Antonio stabbing home from close range to hand the Hammers a faint hope heading into the break.

That was snuffed out 15 minutes after half time though, with Mateta adding his second, and Palace’s fifth goal of the game after some fine work from Eze.

Changes from both sides prevented any real rhythm from that point onwards, but as Palace cruised towards fulltime they handed West Ham a gift when Dean Henderson failed to control a backpass from Mitchell, letting the ball roll past him into the Palace net.

It was a minor blemish but it was an altogether resounding win for Glasner and his side.

Everton beat Nottingham Forest

Everton and Nottingham Forest kick off the afternoon’s action at Goodison Park, with both sides looking nervously over their shoulders at the relegation zone following points deductions for breaching financial fair play regulations.

In the end though, it was the Toffees that were left the happier side.

Scorers: Gueye 29, McNeil 76′

The visitors began the game the stronger in front of an anxious home crowd, with Neco Williams stinging the palms of Jordan Pickford in the opening five minutes.

Everton began to grow into the game, forcing a flurry of corners without testing the Forest goalkeeper thanks largely to the profligacy of André Gomes.

It was a game of few chances, but Everton found a way to take the lead through midfielder Idrissa Gueye. Picking the ball up just outside the penalty area, he fired the ball into the bottom corner, handing the Goodison Park something to hold onto, and leaving Forest with it all to do.

They could have been level five minutes before half time when Chris Wood forced an excellent save out of Jordan Pickford, an effort which prompted celebrations from England’s no.1.

Forest were then left frustrated when calls for a penalty for a handball by Ashley Young were turned down, leaving Everton ahead at the break.

It was a quiet Goodison Park that greeted the sides in the second half, with Everton struggling to grab a foothold in the game but Forest doing little to press their advantage.

Forest felt for a third time that they should have had a penalty, with Young once more involved after tangling with Callum Hudson-Odoi just before the hour mark. However, their claims were once more waved away, with VAR upholding the on-field decision.

And, with 15 minutes to go, Everton sealed the win courtesy of Dwight McNeil, whose low effort thudded in off the inside of the post to hand his side a priceless three points, and help them take a massive step towards safety.

There was a concern late on when a clash of heads saw Everton’s Beto left floored and a lengthly stoppage after both sets of players called for medical support. It soured what was otherwise an excellent outing for the Toffees, who will not let go of their Premier League status without a fight.

Forest, meanwhile, took to social media to vent their frustration, slamming the Premier League for the refereeing errors that they believed went against them over the game.