🏆 Chelsea run riot in FA Cup! Newcastle out as Everton fight back | OneFootball

🏆 Chelsea run riot in FA Cup! Newcastle out as Everton fight back

Logo: OneFootball



It’s one of the highlights of the English footballing calendar – the third round of the FA Cup.

This is what went down.

Five star Chelsea ease past Chesterfield

Chelsea 5
Chesterfield 1
Full time

Scorers: Werner 6′, Hudson-Odoi 18′, Lukaku 20′, Christensen 39′, Ziyech pen 55′; Asante 81′

Five goals from five different goalscorers saw Chelsea easily allay any fears of a Stamford Bridge giant killing against fifth tier Chesterfield.

Timo Werner marked his return to the line-up and complete recovery from COVID with a goal after just six minutes from just two yards out after the ball ricocheted in his direction.

Callum Hudson-Odoi further put a pin in any hopes of a fairytale fightback by cutting in from the left to curl a beauty into the bottom corner before Romelu Lukaku firmly killed that off with a third from debutant Lewis Hall’s cross.

Hall was involved again for the fourth when he had a shot saved and Andreas Christensen followed up to score with a looping header.

Chelsea kept the tempo up after the break and when Calvin Miller fouled Christian Pulisic in the box, it allowed Hakim Ziyech to step up and score from the spot.

But the Spirites did give their sizeable travelling support something to cheers in the closing stages when Akwasi Asante scored to give them a moment to savour.

Townsend saves Everton in extra-time

Hull City 2
Everton 3
Full time

Scorers: Smith 1′, Longman 71′, Gray 23′, Gomes 31′, Townsend 99′

Everton had to fight back from an extremely early deficit and needed extra-time to eventually see off resistance from Championship side Hull City.

Hull took the lead with just 45 seconds on the clock as Tyler Smith thumped home a header from George Honeyman’s free-kick from the right.

The Toffees rallied to level thanks to some individual inspiration from Demarai Gray on the left who played a neat one-two before passing into the corner and then took the lead moments later when AndrĂŠ Gomes found the net.

But Hull refused to buckle and on 71 minutes they equalised when George Moncur teed up Ryan Longman to curl a beauty into the corner to equalise.

With the game sent to extra-time, Andros Townsend put the Toffees back in front with a wicked swerving strike from range that deceived Nathan Baxter between the posts for the winner.

Ten-man Saints rally for extra-time victory

Swansea City 2
Southampton 3
Full time

Scorers: Piroe 77′, Bednarek OG 94′; Redmond 8′, Elyounoussi 95′, Long 102′

Despite playing the majority of the game with 10 men and going behind in extra-time, Southampton fought back to eliminate Swansea on the road.

The Saints took an eighth minute lead when their Nathans combined as Tella teed up Redmond to slot the ball home.

Their task was made harder just before the half-hour mark though when Yan Valery was shown a second yellow card for bundling over former team-mate Michael Obafemi as he ran in on goal.

The visitors held on until 77 minutes with a lesser man but their resistance was broken when JoĂŤl Piroe levelled to send it to extra-time.

There, Jan Bednarek’s own goal gave the Swans the lead, only for Moi Elyounoussi to equalise immediately from kick-off when he swivelled in the area and found the corner and the comeback was completed when James Ward-Prowse crossed for Shane Long to score a rare goal.

Birmingham City 0
Plymouth Argyle 1
Full time
Yeovil Town 1
AFC Bournemouth 3
Full time

Newcastle stunned on Trippier’s debut

Newcastle United 0
Cambridge United 1
Full time

Scorers: Ironside 56′

League One strugglers Cambridge United claimed a huge scalp by eliminating Newcastle in front of a sold out crowd at St James’ Park.

The closest Newcastle, with new signing Kieran Trippier in the side, came to a first half opener was via Jacob Murphy, whose attempt clipped the crossbar.

And the Magpies fell behind 10 minutes after half-time when Joe Ironside scored from close range after some disastrous defending around the six-yard box for a goal that proved to be the shock winner.

Holders ease through to round four

Leicester City 4
Watford 1
Full time

Scorers: Tielemans pen 5′, Maddison 25′, Barnes 54′, Albrighton 85′; Pedro 27′

Holders Leicester City started their defence of the FA Cup with a routine win at home to Watford.

They got off to the perfect start as the man who scored the winner in last season’s final, Youri Tielemans, kickstarted things this year from the penalty spot.

James Maddison doubled that advantage when he glided in behind and finished, although the margin was swiftly reduced to one again when JoĂŁo Pedro found the far corner after being found by Ashley Fletcher.

The Foxes finished with a flourish as Harvey Barnes added a third after the interval before Marc Albrighton wrapped things up late on with the rebound after Ademola Lookman’s strike was saved.

Substitute Mbuemo hits hat-trick for Bees

Port Vale 1
Brentford 4
Full time

Scorers: Harratt 69′; Forss 26′, Mbuemo 66′, 76′, pen 88′

Bryan Mbuemo scored a second half half-trick as Brentford marched on in the FA Cup with a comfortable win at Port Vale.

After a brilliant surging run from Mads Bidstrup, he found Marcus Forss in space, who unleashed an emphatic strike into the net for the opener.

Yoane Wissa struck the bar shortly before half-time before Kristoffer Ajer was foiled by the goalkeeper with the follow-up but Bryan Mbuemo did make it two with 66 minutes on the clock.

And he added a second to put the game beyond doubt after Vale had briefly pulled one back before completing his hat-trick from the penalty spot after Ivan Toney graciously handed him the ball.

Brighton punish 10-man Baggies

West Brom 1
Brighton & Hove Albion 2
Full time

Scorers: Robinson 48′; Moder 81′, Maupay 99′

Brighton needed extra-time at the Hawthorns to advance at the expense of West Bromwich Albion.

Callum Robinson fired West Brom into the lead shortly after half-time who chipped over the onrushing goalkeeper after a swift Baggies breakaway for his sixth goal in six FA Cup starts.

They lost Cédric Kipré to two quickfire yellow cards after the break and that allowed the Seagulls back into the game when Jakub Moder levelled after firing in from substitute Evan Ferguson’s flick.

That turnaround was then completed when Neal Maupay scored nine minutes into extra-time with a neat finish after a good move on the right.

Other fixtures

Barnsley 5
Barrow 4
Full time
Boreham Wood 2
AFC Wimbledon 0
Full time
Kidderminster Harriers 2
Reading 1
Full time
Peterborough United 2
Bristol Rovers 1
Full time
QPR 1 (8)
Rotherham United 1 (7)
Full time(Pens)
Wigan Athletic 3
Blackburn Rovers 2
Full time

Olise inspires Palace to win at hostile Millwall

Millwall 1
Crystal Palace 2
Full time

Scorers: Afobe 17′; Olise 46′, Mateta 58′.

An inspired second half performance from Michael Olise helped Crystal Palace come from behind to beat Millwall.

The hosts were gifted the lead inside the opening 20 minutes when goalkeeper Jack Butland tried to take on two players inside his own box before seeing the ball intercepted then poked home by Benik Afobe.

But Patrick Vieira’s side were level inside the opening minute of the second half when Olise cut inside from the right on to his left foot to curl the ball in off the far post.

The 20 year-old then produced the perfect cross for Jean-Philippe Mateta to head home to complete the turnaround as Palace navigated their way through a tricky banana skin to progress.

Huddersfield come from behind to cause shock

Burnley 1
Huddersfield Town 2
Full time

Scorers: Rodriguez 28′; Koroma 74′, Pearson 86′.

Championship side Huddersfield Town came from behind to knock Premier League Burnley out of the FA Cup with a late winner.

Jay Rodriguez gave the hosts the lead after 28 minutes, guiding a header into the back of the net after getting on to the end of Ashley Westwood’s curled pass.

But the Terriers pulled level 16 minutes from time when Josh Koroma tapped home at the back post after Matt Lowton had been dispossessed in his own half.

Matty Pearson then sent the travelling contingent into raptures when he was found unmarked in the second box from Sorba Thomas’ corner to poke home the winner in the dying minutes.

Mansfield Town 2
Middlesbrough 3
Full time
Bristol City 0
Fulham 1
Full time
Coventry City 1
Derby County 0
Full time
Hartlepool United 2
Blackpool 1
Full time