Chelsea hold 'internal talks' over £50m star at Stamford Bridge | OneFootball

Chelsea hold 'internal talks' over £50m star at Stamford Bridge

Logo: GiveMeSport

GiveMeSport

Chelsea are locked in internal discussions over whether they should return to Everton with another bid for Stamford Bridge target Anthony Gordon, according to transfer guru Fabrizio Romano.

The Blues have made an unbeaten start to the new campaign, having followed up an opening day win over Gordon’s current side with a draw against Tottenham Hotspur, but head coach Thomas Tuchel could look to strengthen his squad ahead of the September 1 deadline.

What’s the latest news involving Gordon?

Chelsea have made their interest in Gordon clear by heading to Everton with a £40million bid, only for the proposal to be rejected.

However, the Blues are reportedly refusing to back down and are preparing to test their Premier League rivals’ resolve with another offer worth £45million.

Gordon is a player in demand as it is understood that Newcastle United are set to make a fresh approach for the winger, having previously submitted an unsuccessful £35million bid.

Tottenham Hotspur also made a £100million offer for Gordon and Richarlison earlier in the transfer window, but only returned for the latter after they failed to reach an agreement.

Chelsea and the 21-year-old’s other suitors will have to work hard to convince Everton to sell Gordon as his current employers have insisted that he is not for sale, while they also value him at £50million.

What has Fabrizio Romano said about Gordon?

Romano understands that Chelsea’s initial offer for Gordon was pushed back by Everton.

However, the transfer guru has claimed that talks are taking place between owner Todd Boehly and Tuchel behind the scenes as the Blues are mulling over whether to make an improved bid.

Romano told GIVEMESPORT: “For Anthony Gordon, they made an opening proposal of £40million and it was rejected by Everton.

“Chelsea are discussing internally – Todd Boehly and, of course, Thomas Tuchel – if they want to make another proposal, maybe including some players, or not.

“There are discussions now ongoing about Gordon.”

1 of 15

Do you know this obscure Chelsea footballer from the 2000s?

Sam Parkin Neil Barrett Mikael Forssell Robert Wolleaston

Who could Chelsea include in a potential cash-plus-player swap deal?

Romano has suggested that Conor Gallagher could be included in a fresh proposal as Chelsea are aware that he is of interest to Everton.

Gallagher has returned to Stamford Bridge after enjoying a productive season-long loan with Crystal Palace, but he has been restricted to just six minutes of action during the early stages of the new campaign.

Everton also have an ‘ongoing’ interest in frontman Armando Broja, so Chelsea could look to include the Albania international as they aim to persuade the Toffees into allowing Gordon to head to west London.

Mentioned in this article

View publisher imprint