Braga president Salvador: Carmo had a foot and a half in Liverpool

Logo: Tribal Football

Tribal Football

Article image: https://image-service.onefootball.com/crop/face?h=810&image=https%3A%2F%2Fimages.tribalfootball.com%2Fdefault%2F0001%2F07%2F15ffdb1f01344248a1b0304ad044b8f0c518e75e.jpeg&q=25&w=1080

Braga president António Salvador has confirmed David Carmo was on his way to Liverpool in January.

Speaking with Marca via O Jogo, Salvador says the deal fell through due to an injury picked up by the defender.

He recalled: "We have to sell every year. In January, for example, David Carmo had a foot and a half in Liverpool, but we ended up keeping him. Despite being injured, he still has several suitors, including from Spain."

Carmo has a contract to 2025 and a unilateral buyout clause of €40m. So far this season, the Portuguese defender has managed 21 appearances with Braga, including five in the Europa League.

It has been claimed Liverpool's move for Carmo had fallen through over disagreement with Braga regarding his valuation - before Salvador's comments this week. Liverpool eventually moving onto signing Ben Davies from Preston North End and taking Ozan Kabak on-loan from Schalke.

Meanwhile, the president admits Carmo could yet be sold this summer given the club's financial model. Salvador says selling players every year is a built in part of their revenue strategy and this summer will be no different.

He added, "We have to receive between €12.5 and 15 million in transfers. This is an established point if we are to remain at the same level we have been in for the past decade.

"This year we will have to do more in the face of the damage caused by the pandemic."

- updated April 21